A former campaign adviser to President Trump is now claiming that it was a “mistake” to allow author Michael Wolff access to the White House to pen his book, which has caused heavy controversy in Washington over the past few days.
Fmr. Trump campaign adviser Michael Caputo on Michael Wolf's 'Fire & Fury': "This book is trash."
CNN's @ChrisCuomo: "You guys let him in … and you gave him tons of access."
Caputo: "That was a mistake." https://t.co/yU7gh5cP65
— New Day (@NewDay) January 8, 2018
“But you guys let him in, Michael. You guys opened the door,” CNN host Chris Cuomo said to Michael Caputo on Wolff’s access.
Caputo, talking over Cuomo, responded, “That was a mistake.”
“You said ‘come on in.’ And you gave him tons of access, including the president, who spoke to him about the book,” Cuomo continued.
The admission from a former aide to Trump comes in the aftermath of the administration being forced into fight against several shocking revelations that began leaking last week ahead of the book’s release.
The controversial new book includes several quotes from former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon, who described Donald Trump Jr.’s meeting with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic.”
The vicious remarks caused Trump himself to dismiss Bannon in a biting statement in which the president claimed that his former aide had “lost his mind” after he left the White House. Trump has also launched an attack against Wolff, claiming that he “made up stories” for the book.
Bannon over the weekend provided a statement praising Trump Jr. to Axios after receiving heavy criticism for his remarks.
“Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around,” Bannon said.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK